Monday, January 29, 2007

TO LOVE AND TO BE LOVED


When you hear the word “love” what comes into your mind? It may remind you of cupid’s arrow stringing two hearts together. Or the couples walking along the beach holding hands. Or the three bright red roses in a vase. A locket we wear close to our heart. A touch that warms and promises…

Our experience of love is both exalting and frustrating. Thrilling and saddening. Love is a relationship that comes as a holy gift from God to the world, but it can color our world with sunshine and rainbow as well as darkness and despair. It is meant to be beautiful, fulfilling, strengthening us and enriching our personality. Yes love lights our life and gives meaning to our existence. And I can say that it is both privilege and responsibility.

Yet, to some of us, who have been hurt and perhaps hurt another, the word “love” cuts like a knife wounding all over again. It breaks our souls and brings tears to our eyes. It may refresh our memory of a break-up letter. Of a love wrapped gift returned. Of a bitter exchange of words, followed by a painful goodbye… I know all about it because I experienced it…

Many of us maybe wondering if love promises so much, why do we often experience pain and disappointment? Why the enduring aches so hard to go away even with the passage of time?

The problem is selfishness. Instead of its life-giving and life-sharing qualities, we focus on the aspects of love which are self-serving.

So you will ask me now, “What then is true love”?

The essence of true love is more than feelings, more than physical and sexual attraction, more than all things that we may associate with LOVE…

For every tears and hurts because of love that broke our world… it made us strong and gives us hope that the true love that we’ve been waiting for will finally come in the right time, for the right reason and with the right person…


One of the deepest needs of every person is the need to be loved. To feel lonely and unloved can be devastating.

4 comments:

rissavilla12a said...

Obviously, I love God, my parents, friends and all of you my classmates. But what comes in my mind whenever I hear it is, a boyfriend. I desperately want a boyfriend now. You know? As in now na! Nakakainis nga eh kasi walang nanliligaw. Huhuhu. But it’s true, “Love lights our life and gives meaning to our existence”. Bakit? Kasi ung mga mahal ko at ung mga nagmamahal sa kin ung dahilan kung bakit buhay ako. Parang ikaw. Plus ung pagmamahal ko sa pangarap ko syempre..

jel said...

I realize that every time people talk about love I always get affected. It’s not that I know what people feel when they get hurt but because I am envious for they have experience it already. Every time, I hear my friends with their love problems where in they would ask for an advice I don’t know what to tell them. I don’t know even know what will be the right advice that I could give them to help them. I always feel bad when it happens that I don’t know how to aid their heart aches. Anyhow, i don’t know why I always feel bothered of my desperation of love. Maybe, I just wonder what it feels like to be loved by someone special to you. All I want is to know how it feels that someone would hold my hand like lovers do. At least once in my experience I have encountered to be hurt by someone close to my heart. It may seem weird but for me heartaches are just normal and a very crucial thing to experience to be able for me to grow and learn. Perhaps, I admire you because what ever pain love may have caused you, you’re still struggling from hurting.

ronah_26 said...

Love is such a very broad word. Yes you’re right! Love could hurt but that doesn’t mean that love is cruel. It might be the selfishness of the people that made love cruel. But actually, it is love that really makes the world go round. When we say love, it’s unconditional. We love without even knowing the reason; no because no but’s no maybe’s . The best example of love is the love of God for us. It is so unconditional that no matter how many times and how much we sinned, still no amount of love can compare with HIS love.

MYK said...

I agree with the point that the problem if selfishness. Most people focus on the self-serving aspects, not looking on the more important ones. Sometimes, we all tend to overlook these things.

Some people have a one-dimensional definition or idea of love. Since love is something that every human being is capable of feeling, its definition is and true meaning is trivialized. There is more to love than the physical attraction, sexual attraction and emotional satisfaction.

There is no “true love” because love itself is true. There is no fake love, if there is, it is not called love.

PS: Renddy, I really love being with you. You are one of the persons who always make me laugh and smile. You are such a funny person. I want you to know that I am so blessed that I have you as my friend. 